1. H. M. Pask, D. C. Hanna, A. C. Tropper, C. J. Mackechnie, P. R. Barber, J. M. Dawes, and R. J. Carman, "Ytterbium-Doped Silica Fiber Lasers: Versatile Sources for the 1–1.2 μm Region," IEEE J. Select. Topics Quantum Electron. 1, 2-13 (1995).
2. R. Paschotta, J. Nilsson, A. C. Tropper, and D. C. Hanna, "Ytterbium-doped fiber amplifiers," IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 33, 1049-1056 (1997).
3. Y. Jeong, J. Sahu, D. Payne, and J. Nilsson, "Ytterbium-doped large-core fiber laser with 1.36 kW continuous-wave output power," Opt. Express 12, 6088-6092 (2004).
4. Y.-C. Jeong, A. J. Boyland, J. K. Sahu, S.-H. Chung, J. Nilsson, and D. N. Payne, "Multi-kilowatt Single-mode Ytterbium-doped Large-core Fiber Laser," J. Opt. Soc. Korea 13, 416-422 (2009).
5. E. Snitzer, "Proposed fiber cavities for optical lasers," J.Appl. Phys. 32, 36-39 (1961).
6. E. Snitzer, "Optical maser action of Nd3+ in a barium crown
glass," Phys. Rev. Lett. 7, 444-446 (1961).
7. C. J. Koester, and E. Snitzer, "Amplification in a fiber laser," Appl. Opt. 3, 1182-1186 (1964).
8. D. C. Hanna, R. M. Percival, I. R. Perry, R. G. Smart, P. J.Suni, and A. C. Tropper, "An Yb-doped monomode fiber laser: broadly tunable operation from 1.010 μm to 1.162 μm and three-level operation at 974 nm," J. Mod. Opt. 37, 517-525 (1990).
9. R. Selvas, J. K. Sahu, L. B. Fu, J. N. Jang, J. Nilsson, A. B. Grudinin, K. H. Ylä-Jarkko, S. A. Alam, P. W. Turner, and J. Moore, "High-power, low-noise, Yb-doped, cladding-pumped, three-level fiber sources at 980nm," Opt. Lett. 28, 1093-1095 (2003).
10. J. Boullet, Y. Zaouter, R. Desmarchelier, M. Cazaux, F. Salin, J. Saby, R. Bello-Doua, and E. Cormier, "High power ytterbium-doped rod-type three-level photonic crystal fiber laser," Opt. Express 16, 17891-17902 (2008).
11. F. Roeser, C. Jauregui, J. Limpert, and A. Tünnermann, "94 W 980 nm high brightness Yb-doped fiber laser," Opt. Express 16, 17310-17318 (2008).
12. A. Shirakawa, C. B. Olausson, M. Chen, K.-i. Ueda, J. K. Lyngsø, and J. Broeng, "Power-Scalable Photonic Bandgap Fiber Sources with 167 W, 1178 nm and 14.5 W, 589 nm Radiations," in Lasers, Sources and Related Photonic Devices(Optical Society of America, San Diego, California, 2010), p. APDP6.
13. M. L. Osowski, W. Hu, R. M. Lammert, S. W. Oh, P. T. Rudy, T. Stakelon, L. Vaissie, and J. E. Ungar, "Advances in high-brightness semiconductor lasers," in Laser Source Technology for Defense and Security IV(Orlando, FL, 2008).
14. E. Snitzer, H. Po, F. Hakimi, R. Tumminelli, and B. C. McCollum, "DOUBLE CLAD, OFFSET CORE Nd FIBER LASER," in Optical Fiber Sensors(Optical Society of America, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1988), p. PD5.
15. K. Ueda, H. Sekiguchi, and H. Kan, "1kW CW output from fiber-embedded disk lasers," in Lasers and Electro-Optics, 2002. CLEO '02. Technical Digest. Summaries of Papers Presented at the(2002), pp. CPDC4-CPDC4.
16. Y. Jeong, J. K. Sahu, D. N. Payne, and J. Nilsson, "Ytterbium-doped large-core fiber laser with 1.36 kW continuous-wave output power," Opt. Express 12, 6088-6092 (2004).
17. C. Wirth, O. Schmidt, A. Kliner, T. Schreiber, R. Eberhardt, and A. Tünnermann, "High-power tandem pumped fiber amplifier with an output power of 2:9kW," Opt. Lett. 36, 3061-3063 (2011).
18. F. J. McClung, and R. W. Hellwarth, "Giant optical pulsations from ruby," Journal of Applied Physics 33, 828-829 (1962).
19. H. L. Offerhaus, N. G. Broderick, D. J. Richardson, R. Sammut, J. Caplen, and L. Dong, "High-energy single-transverse-mode Q-switched fiber laser based on a multimode large-mode-area erbium-doped fiber," Opt. Lett. 23, 1683-1685 (1998).
20. A. Piper, A. Malinowski, K. Furusawa, and D. J. Richardson, "High-power, high-brightness, mJ Q-switched ytterbium-doped fibre laser," Electronics Letters 40, 928-929 (2004).
21. O. Schmidt, J. Rothhardt, F. Röser, S. Linke, T. Schreiber, K. Rademaker, J. Limpert, S. Ermeneux, P. Yvernault, F. Salin, and A. Tünnermann, "Millijoule pulse energy Q-switched short-length fiber laser," Opt. Lett. 32, 1551-1553 (2007).
22. T. V. Andersen, P. Pérez-Millán, S. R. Keiding, S. Agger, R. Duchowicz, and M. V. Andrés, "All-fiber actively Q-switched Yb-doped laser," Opt Commun 260, 251-256 (2006).
23. M. Delgado-Pinar, D. Zalvidea, A. Diez, P. Perez-Millan, and M. Andres, "Q-switching of an all-fiber laser by acousto-optic modulation of a fiber Bragg grating," Opt. Express 14, 1106-1112 (2006).
24. M. Laroche, A. M. Chardon, J. Nilsson, D. P. Shepherd, W. A. Clarkson, S. Girard, and R. Moncorgé, "Compact diode-pumped passively Q-switched tunable Er–Yb double-clad fiber laser," Opt. Lett. 27, 1980-1982 (2002).
25. L. Pan, I. Utkin, and R. Fedosejevs, "Passively Q-switched ytterbium-doped double-clad fiber laser with a Cr4+:YAG saturable absorber," IEEE Photonics Technol Lett 19, 1979-1981 (2007).
26. J. B. Lecourt, G. Martel, M. Guézo, C. Labbé, and S. Loualiche, "Erbium-doped fiber laser passively Q-switched by an InGaAs/InP multiple quantum well saturable absorber," Opt Commun 263, 71-83 (2006).
27. P. Adel, M. Auerbach, C. Fallnich, S. Unger, H.-R. Müller, and J. Kirchhof, "Passive Q-switching by Tm3+ codoping of a Yb3+-fiber laser," Opt. Express 11, 2730-2735 (2003).
28. A. A. Fotiadi, A. S. Kurkov, and I. M. Razdobreev, "All-fiber passively Q-switched ytterbium laser," in Lasers and Electro-Optics Europe, 2005. CLEO/Europe. 2005 Conference on(2005), p. 515.
29. V. V. Dvoyrin, V. M. Mashinsky, and E. M. Dianov, "Yb-Bi pulsed fiber lasers," Opt. Lett. 32, 451-453 (2007).
30. T.-Y. Tsai, Y.-C. Fang, H.-M. Huang, H.-X. Tsao, and S.-T. Lin, "Saturable absorber Q- and gain-switched all-Yb3+ all-fiber laser at 976 and 1064 nm," Opt. Express 18, 23523-23528 (2010).
31. T.-Y. Tsai, Y.-C. Fang, Z.-C. Lee, and H.-X. Tsao, "All-fiber passively Q-switched erbium laser using mismatch of mode field areas and a saturable-amplifier pump switch," Opt. Lett. 34, 2891-2893 (2009).
32. T.-Y. Tsai, and Y.-C. Fang, "A self-Q-switched all-fiber erbium laser at 1530 nm using an auxiliary 1570-nm erbium laser," Opt. Express 17, 21628-21633 (2009).
33. T.-Y. Tsai, and Y.-C. Fang, "A saturable absorber Q-switched all-fiber ring laser," Opt. Express 17, 1429-1434 (2009).
34. T.-Y. Tsai, Z.-C. Lee, H.-X. Tsao, and S.-T. Lin, "Lensless intracavity focusing in a passively Q-switched all-fiber laser using the mode-field-area mismatch," Opt. Lett. 37, 2610-2612 (2012).
36. J. He, S. Du, Z. Wang, Z. Wang, J. Zhou, and Q. Lou, "Linearly-polarized short-pulse AOM Q-switched 978 nm photonic crystal fiber laser," Opt. Express 21, 29249-29254 (2013).
37. K. H. Ylä-Jarkko, R. Selvas, D. B. S. Son, J. K. Sahu, C. A. Codemard, J. Nilsson, S. A. Alam, and A. B. E. D. Z. J. Grudinin, "A 3.5 W 977 nm Cladding-pumped Jacketed Air-Clad Ytterbium-Doped Fiber Laser," in Advanced Solid-State Photonics(Optical Society of America, San Antonio, Texas, 2003), p. 103.
38. A. Wang, A. K. George, and J. C. Knight, "Three-level neodymium fiber laser incorporating photonic bandgap fiber," Opt. Lett. 31, 1388-1390 (2006).
39. A. Polynkin, P. Polynkin, A. Schülzgen, M. Mansuripur, and N. Peyghambarian, "Watts-level, short all-fiber laser at 1.5 mm with a large core and diffraction-limited output via intracavity spatial-mode filtering," Opt. Lett. 30, 403-405 (2005).
40. P. Wang, L. J. Cooper, J. K. Sahu, and W. A. Clarkson, "Efficient single-mode operation of a cladding-pumped ytterbium-doped helical-core fiber laser," Opt. Lett. 31, 226-228 (2006).
41. P. Wang, G. Brambilla, M. Ding, Y. Semenova, Q. Wu, and G. Farrell, "Investigation of single-mode–multimode–single-mode and single-mode–tapered-multimode–single-mode fiber structures and their application for refractive index sensing," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 28, 1180-1186 (2011).
42. Q. Wang, G. Farrell, and W. Yan, "Investigation on Single-Mode–Multimode–Single-Mode Fiber Structure," J. Lightwave Technol. 26, 512-519 (2008).
43. Y. Zhao, Y. Jin, and H. Liang, "Investigation on Single-Mode-Multimode-Single-Mode Fiber Structure," Photonics and Optoelectronics (2011).
44. X. Zhu, A. Schülzgen, H. Li, L. Li, Q. Wang, S. Suzuki, V. L. Temyanko, J. V. Moloney, and N. Peyghambarian, "Single-transverse-mode output from a fiber laser based on multimode interference," Opt. Lett. 33, 908-910 (2008).
45. X. Zhu, A. Schulzgen, H. Li, L. Li, V. L. Temyanko, J. V. Moloney, and N. Peyghambarian, "High-Power Fiber Lasers and Amplifiers Based on Multimode Interference," Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of 15, 71-78 (2009).
46. J. Zhou, B. He, Y. Feng, and X. Gu, "High efficiency single-mode-multimode-single-mode fiber laser with diffraction-limited beam output," Applied Optics 53, 5554-5558 (2014).
47 A. Siegman, Lasers (University Science Books 1986),pp1024-1028.